Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Interview with author LM Preston


Today I'm pleased to welcome debut author LM Preston of "Explorer X - Alpha", for an interview here at Books Obsession. Her book will be out in February 2010!


Can you start off by telling us a little bit about your book “Explorer X-Alpha” and if there will be a sequel?

Explorer X - Alpha is about a boy who struggles to stay true to himself in the midst of turmoil. He realizes that being a leader doesn't always mean that you win. It means never giving up. His entire world is shaken, but he stays true to himself while encouraging Eirena, his co-pilot, to do the same.

There will be a sequel. It's called EXPLORER X - Beta and if comes out in fall 2011. I am finishing up editing on THE PACK a two book series that comes out in fall 2010. It is an upper YA novel about a girl who goes on a mission to save the missing kids of her planet while struggling to trust Valens her connection to the underworld of her enemy.

What motivated you to write your sci-fi novel?

Unlike most fictional novels the writer's boundaries are clearly defined. In science fiction and fantasy the author is free to really use their imagination and create their own boundaries. I have always had a vivid imagination, and writing within the confines of the real world rather bored me. It was hard for me to get excited enough to finish work that required that I stay in the confines of Earth as we know it today. Therefore sci-fi was a good fit for me.

Who is your favorite character in the book and why?

Well, I love them all. However, Aadi is my first character, and my favorite. He is definitely the one I am most in tuned to because he responds to his struggles and challenges much the way my husband had. I knew my husband since I was fifteen, and as his friend I observed many of his actions. He had a difficult childhood, yet he was always positive, and never gave up - even when things crumbled around him. Now, I also have to admit I like Eirena a lot. She makes herself appear to be a lot stronger than she really is. However, she gets stronger through the support and encouragement of Aadi.

How did you come up with many of the sci-fi electronics and inventions written in your book?

I have been an engineer for over seventeen years. I have always dreamed of creating cool stuff that I mention in my books, and writing gives me another creative outlet for that talent.

You travel a lot; what’s been the best place you visited?

I love Hawaii. The island is so plush, beautiful and amazing. Live volcanoes, gorgeous beaches, exotic people, and the list goes on and on. I have based a lot of aspects of my writing on some of the wonders there. Look for them in my upcoming novels.

You mentioned you had four kids. What creative games and activities do you like to play with them?

Okay, I admit it, I am a big kid. My husband is also. We play hide and go bombs. Where we play hide and seek in the house and my husband or I chase and bomb the kids with our socks. We do candy hunts. I act out stories that I read to them, and make the older kids join in as actors. We also play capture the flag, a family favorite.

Do you have any favorite books, authors, or genres?

Yes I do. I read horror, romance, and science fiction mostly. Sometimes I try mysteries, but it's got to be one that is action packed. Several books I loved are THE CHILD THEIF, UGLIES, and MAXIMUM RIDE (fugitive series). My daughter and I usually trade books and talk about them. She has become a major inspiration and beta reader of all of my work, and she is very opinionated (smile) just like I like my teens.

Any other projects you’re working on that you’d like to share?

I am finishing up THE PACK about 16yr old Shamira, who kicks butt and takes names as she and her friend Valens destroy the crime organization kidnapping kids on Mars. Stay tuned for a teaser on my website for that in Mar. 2010. I am currently working on BANDITS, which is a futuristic novel about 17yr Daniel and his friends, which includes his best friend's sister who has a crush on him. They set out to find a treasure in which his father has stolen, while running from his father's killers in the process.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

No, thank you for giving me the opportunity to visit. To all you YA readers out there, realize that you have a voice and that you are valuable. Never ever give up, even when you think things are bad. I am an example that if you fight through problems you can attain the impossible. I write about characters that do this, because I have. You can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks, I love what you have to say!