Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick



Title:
Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Published: October 2009 by Simon & Schuster

My Rating: 5 stars
Tags: YA | Suspense | Romance | Fantasy
Includes: Very brief profanity, Sexuality

First Lines: Chauncey was with a farmer's daughter on the grassy banks of the Loire River when the storm rolled in, and having let his gelding wander in the meadow, was left to his own two feet to carry him back to the chateau.



[Description from Amazon] : For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Wow, I'm still speechless to how terrific this book was. One of the best I've ever read? YES.

This novel is filled to the brim with creativity, and a summary that will hold your attention even past the last page. I was really absorbed in Nora's story and her character felt so alive and real to me. Even by the first few sentences in the book, I was already hooked. And unlike some books that start out great, and eventually lose my interest, this one did the opposite. I was craving more of the story the closer I got to the end. And I actually read the last chapter extremely slow, just so I could savor it that much more.

The twist at the end was GREAT. I was definitely not expecting it. Throughout the book I kept making mental predictions of who could be the "bad guy" or villain, and I was way off the whole time, ha! But oh man, the suspense in this book was killer. With Nora being stalked by a stranger in a ski mask, out to deliberately murder her? Creepy! But addicting to know what would happen next.

From Page 47
He was dressed in total black and blended with the night, making it hard to tell what he looked like. At first I couldn't distinguish any facial features, and then I realized he was wearing a ski mask. He rose to his feet, closing the distance between us. He flattened his palms to the driver's side window. Our eyes connected through the holes in the mask. A lethal smile seemed to rise in them.

Patch. The mysterious, sexy, bad-boy. He was one of the best male fictional characters - and I'd choose him over Edward any day! I loved how the author portrayed him, and kept him secretive. It made me long to know about his past, which he purposely tried to avoid talking about with Nora. Which brings me to my next point - their relationship. Wow the chemistry between them was so believable! Nora's a very smart girl with self-control, which I liked. She didn't throw herself at Patch, even though she wanted to, and tried logical thinking to stay away from him.

From Page 113
I didn't move. There was a glint to his eye that made me think I should be frightened of him...and I was. But that fright was equal parts allure. There was something extremely unsettling about being near him. In his presence, I didn't trust myself.

This cover...incredible. It is seriously hypnotic and I wish it could have been on the ARC! I'll be sure to buy my own hardcover copy just so I can look at the gorgeous cover to my heart's desire. :)

*The only thing I don't understand is the title. To someone who's read the book can you explain to me why it's called "Hush, Hush"? Thanks! I'd love to know.

Book Supplied by: ARC I won in a blogger's contest!

27 comments:

  1. Great review! Loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Review. I loved this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of skimmed through yor review because I am currently reading this and didn't want to spoil it for myself. I'm glad you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! The cover IS fantastic. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the heat btwn Patch and Nora.... I can totally relate to a "I hate you but I want so bad to kiss those lips."
    I agree Nora was very real to me as well. I am running not walking to pick up Crescendo when it's out!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally LOVED this book! Patch and Nora make a perfect couple! I agree, the cover was phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this review, makes me even more impatient to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted this book for a while, but you have now made me want it EVEN more! 5 stars? Amazing? Wow? I need this book because of you! And yes, the cover is gorgeous! Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the hardback of this book and love looking at it everyday. This is one of my most fav books ever and i totally agree with everything you said!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book too and it was actually the first review I'd ever written on my blog. Can't wait for Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to read this book for a while now, but wasn't so sure about the whole angel concept. Thanks for the review, 5 stars...so i know it must be good, will definitely be checking this book out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. I don't have any money right now, but I just HAVE to buy this one.
    Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book was amazing, and how lovely is Becca Fitzpatrick? I just love her ^^
    Crescendo really can't release soon enough, I pre-ordered my copy months ago!
    I don't really know why it's called Hush, Hush. My theories are either because Patch has secrets or because his wings does some Hush sounds haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really disliked this book, rating it only 2 stars (hoots) on my blog. The cover is incredible though, it's what lured me towards the series!! I don't understand the title either...at all. It's a good title though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this book few weeks back and the excitement is still clear in my brain! I totally love Patch in this book despite his awkward, mysterious behavoirs. Cannot wait for Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't read this book yet i am not sure but after your amazing review i am more than excited to read it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another book I'm a big fan of.
    I love how unique it really is. I actually hadn't thought about why it's called Hush,Hush until you mentioned it.
    If you find out, please let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was my first book about angels. Though I expected a little more from the story, I loved Patch. His character was funny and protective and I loved interactions between him and Nora. They were made for each other and it showed on every page. Looking forward to Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hm... The book sounds lovely! Not to mention that the cover is absolutely gorgeous! :) Thanks for your glowing review! Can't wait to get my hands on Hush, Hush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe that I still haven't had the chance to read this yet! Because of your review, I just might go and buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, I understand how you feel about this book, really. I loved it too! And the gorgeous cover screams for attention!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cover is breathtaking! I really liked Hush, Hush because it had a lot of suspense and secrets. It wasn't as good I'd hoped it would be but it was still great. I can't wait for Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely loved this book!!! Patch you're definitely worth all the drooling :)
    I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did enjoy Hush Hush. But i guess i wasn't as crazy about it as some. Glad you loved it. I love reading reviews when someone truly loves the book they are reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really loved this book to and really loved patch even if he was a jerk for awhile! The cover is what got me to want to check it out so pretty! Great review thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely loved this book. I thought I wouldn't at first, but I kept going after the first few chapters because I was just that curious. And it totally paid off. I agree, Patch is sexy!

    Great cover, and great book. Still have to read Crescendo, which I bought while I was still reading this one!

    I don't know about the title. I was wondering about that myself. Maybe it has to do with all the secrets roaming around the story? And to build a theme for the other titles (Crescendo and Silence). It's a very creative title, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!