Friday, February 5, 2010

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


Title: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments Book 1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published: February 2008 by McElderry

My Rating: 5 stars (I wish I could give it more!)
Tags: YA | Fantasy | Suspense | Vampires | Werewolves | Warlocks | Paranormal Romance
Includes: Violence, Witchcraft

First Lines: "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest. He stared down at the boy in the red zip-up jacket and shook his shaved head.



Clary Fray, an overall normal teenager living in New York, witnesses a murder one night at a club. Except that no else can seem to see the things and people that she sees. From there, Clary's world takes off on an adventure full of shadow hunters (descendants of angels that kill demons), warlocks, vampires, werewolves, and many other paranormal creatures. Along the way, she'll have the help from the charming Jace, and learn about all of the dark secrets of her past that her mother never told her about.

I don't want to say much about the plot, because I really don't want to give anything away! This book is full of surprises and there are many twists and turns along the way that were very unpredictable. The story kicks off strong, and has so many intense scenes along the way, you almost never have time to wind down and breathe.

From page 280
The windows exploded inward in a shower of broken glass. She heard herself cry out, saw the vampires - barely an arm's length from her and Jace - whirl in astonishment, shock mingling with terror on their faces. Through the shattered windows came dozens of sleek shapes, four-footed and low to the ground, their coats scattering moonlight and broken bits of glass. Wolves.

I fell in love with Clary and Jace's characters; they're the protagonists in the book, and their more-than-just-friends relationship was really believable and interesting. Sure, Clary sometimes made stupid decisions, or craved comfort and protection, but that's what made it so much more real! Jace's witty and sarcastic personality drew me in right away, yet somewhere deep within him there's a sensitive and caring boy.

From page 449
At last Jace looked at her. She saw the disbelief plain in his eyes. She could see the fragile construct of his faith in his father that he wore like a transparent armor, protecting him from the truth.

Now for the storyline....wow. Even though the main plot in the book was for Clary and the other Shadow Hunters to retrieve the Mortal Cup from the villain, Valentine; there are some side plots to the story too, that will keep up the reader's attention. It was a thrilling read, and there were nights that I would stay up reading for hours simply because I couldn't put the book down! It's a really unique and creative story, and I hadn't read anything like it before. The author's writing was so believable and understandable, and I could easily visualize everything that was happening. She didn't hesitate to include many details in her writing.

This is one of the longest books I've ever read though. It's almost 500 pages, and for me being a slow reader, it took me what felt like forever to finally finish it. But it was definitely worth it. This ending will have you shocked like never before. My fingers are itching to hold the next book and begin reading it. Why did I wait so long to start reading this fantastic series?!

Book Supplied by: Publisher for review.

28 comments:

  1. I. Loved. This. Book. I'm glad to see that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book now. It's excellent so far. Can't wait to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it!!! I can't wait to re-read the series. They're all awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be reading this very soon and I really hope I like it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the whole series and I am glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this book, but I read it online. So I still need to get a copy for my collection and then I need to read the rest of the books in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely fell in love with the characters too. I love Jace's whitty remarks through the whole series:)I know what you mean with whole side plot thing. I did't want to stop reading this book, same goes for the second and third book also. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This is my favorite series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the best YA series I have ever read. They are outstanding. I am dying for Clockwork Angel and City of Fallen Angels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE LOVE LOVE This series! Glad you did to ^^
    I really can't wait for TCA and City of fallen angels to come out, I just can't get enough of the world =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to hear this book was good! So many people have been hyping about it; I need to read it for myself! It's so long though, but I don't mind. I like long books, since it gives me time to immerse myself in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot begin to tell you how much I ADORE this series! I especially love the funny banters between the character (Especially those between Jace and Simon). Definitely one of the best YA series I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love this series. And I can't wait for Clockwork Angel to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this series it be a great movie so glad you enjoyed it i am tempted to reread it can't wait for city of fallen angels and clock work angel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a really big fan of this book and the entire series. I especially love the description used at parts; it was breathtaking!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my friend did a school book talk on this book and honestly even though she is a good friend, yours was 5 times better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was one of my favorite series of all time. I agree with you in wanting to award it more than 5 stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fell in love with Jace...I loved the words you use to characterize him: witty, sarcastic but sensitive and caring. I would add sometimes stubborn and overly brave :) there was a ballance between action and Clary and Jace's relationship which built up slowly but the entire climax of the series was just wonderful. I would recommend this book and series to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Clary and Jace too! Their actions and thoughts are so real and believable. The plot is filled with twists and turns and the characters weave a lovely story together... It is definitely a must read! Thanks so much for your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read this a while ago, so I only remember that I didn't really like it that much. I didn't even know why. Are you going to read the other two books?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard lots of great things about this series; I feel like I'm missing out! I actually have this book on my shelf (have had it for months, probably since last year), just haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this book. Cassandra Clare is my GOD! The entire series is amazing. It's so intricate and well planned out. There are always surprises and twists to keep readers on their toes. And her characters are very well written and easy to fall in love with, especially Jace!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm really glad you liked it! The Mortal Instruments is a great series so I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of it. Just wait til you get to City of Glass. That one was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally agree with your review, I love this book! Plot is very well developed and characters are amazing. The whole series is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is definitely on my to read list. Just haven't had a chance to get it from my library. So many people i know love this series. Sounds like you loved it too. Must read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This book... Gosh, this book made me soooo obsessed lol.
    I LOVED it. Every single page of it.
    C.Clare is one of the best writers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my gosh .. u are definetly right !!!
    the ending is so unpredictable. which i love except the sibling thing ;)
    n ovation is for Clare coz create somebody like jace :)))n becoz the story of course


    n honestly i was late too for reading this amazing series
    n the sentence in ur review is always comin' to my mind
    "Why did I wait so long to start reading this fantastic series?!"

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love Clary and Jace's relationship too and i am glad that you also saw his caring nature that he has for Clary and his friends.
    you are spot on with this review of the book, and i couldnt agree more with it, except for the part about waiting ages to read it as i read it early on but still. i dunno why you waited to long either.
    the start really what makes the novel as it pulls the reader in right from the get go and doesnt hesitate to get into the action like most books which works for it

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like this series but Jace's character REALLY annoys me. His arrogance just makes me want to slap him as well as the fact that the next moment he's depressed and hates himself and everyone starts to pity him...I still like the series though...Simon and Isabelle are also the high light of the book in my opinion :3. (I think i'm most likely talking about all the books in the series)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!