Saturday, June 13, 2009

Evermore by Alyson Noel


Title: Evermore: The Immortals
Author: Alyson Noel

Published: February 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

My Rating: 4 stars
Tags: YA | Fantasy | Romance | Series (Book One)
Includes: Profanity, Sexual Content, Alcohol Abuse, Homosexuality

First Lines: "Guess who?" Haven's warm, clammy palms press hard against my cheeks as the tarnished edge of her silver skull ring leaves a smudge on my skin.



Ever is a depressed sixteen-year old who lives with her aunt. Besides the fact that her parents, sister, and dog died in a car accident; that she can see people's auras; and that she can hear everyone's thoughts, she's a pretty normal teenager. Oh, and she can talk to her dead little sister, too.

From Page 3
I wasn't always a freak. I used to be a normal teen. The kind of who went to school dances, had celebrity crushes, and was so vain about my long blond hair I wouldn't dream of scraping it back into a ponytail and hiding beneath a big hooded sweatshirt. I was popular, happy, and could hardly wait for junior year to begin since I'd just made varsity cheerleader.

Ever now lives with the guilt that she caused her family's deaths, and tries her best to block out the world with her hooded sweatshirts and blaring iPod. Then, Damen, a new student shows up at school. Who just happens to be mysterious, charming, and extraordinarily handsome. All of the girls drool over him. Except for Ever. She keeps her distance and refuses to associate herself with him, even after her two best friends Miles and Haven urge her to go talk to him. Until one day, when Ever finally takes a good look at him the first thing she notices...she can't read his thoughts or see his aura!

From Page 11
Damen is undeniably beautiful, with his shiny dark hair that hits just shy of his shoulders and curves around his high sculpted cheekbones. But when he looks at me, when he lifts his dark sunglasses and meets my gaze, I see that his almond shaped eyes are deep, dark, and strangely familiar, framed by lashes so lush they almost seem fake.

Wherever Ever goes, Damen seems to be there too, with a tulip in hand. And even as she does her best to stay away, she finds herself drawn to him and falling for him. However the more she learns about his past and secrets, she's not so sure he is who she thinks he is...

This novel was really unpredictable, which I love to find in a book. I'd make a prediction with what would happen next, and end up being wrong. I've also never read a story about a psychic teenager who can talk to her dead sister, which was also pretty interesting. :) I thought that the storyline was very creative and well-thought out. I liked the diversity of personalities for all of the characters, too - especially Miles, her gay best friend, and Haven, her gothic other best friend.

However, I think that the first half of the book was much better than the second half. Throughout the story, the author plants many questions in the reader's head about who Damen really is. Even after finishing the book, I still had a lot of questions that were unanswered. Hopefully I'll understand better in the sequel. Also, it seemed like too much information was suddenly shoved down my throat during the last few chapters. It was a lot to process and try to understand in a short amount of writing.

Riley, Ever's dead little sister, was a great character. She was so cute, and acted just like a kid that age should act! She would wear her older sister's clothes, and get jealous easily. I think I liked her character the best.

There were great things and not-so-great things about this book, but overall I enjoyed it. The twist at the end was great, and I think this is a must-read for lovers of paranormal romance meets fantasy.

Book Supplied by: Won it on a book blogger's contest.

6 comments:

  1. This is one that I am looking forward to reading. I just hope it's not too Twilight-y.

    BTW, I have an award for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.... I had several unanswered questions but the book has many unpredictable scenes that I enjoyed!

    I am so glad the installments have been released.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second book, Blue Moon, is a total copy of Meyer's New Moon. I loved this book, but hated the rest in the series!
    I love how you quote sections from the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was kind of slow in the begining those are some of my favourite quotes i like the whole auras premise it 's unpredictable

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one YA book that i found too young for me. I know a lot of people like it. I think it might be more geared for teens or early 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this book really impressed me. it's easy to read but i loved it so much. i read it in romanian but i think the english version is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!