Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday: What Comes After


This week's WoW book is What Comes After by Steve Watkins! It will be released on April 12, 2011.

SUMMARY:
After her veterinarian dad dies, sixteen-year-old Iris Wight must leave her beloved Maine to live on a North Carolina farm with her hardbitten aunt and a cousin she barely knows. Iris, a vegetarian and animal lover, immediately clashes with Aunt Sue, who mistreats the livestock, spends Iris’s small inheritance, and thinks nothing of striking Iris for the smallest offense. Things come to a head when Iris sets two young goats free to save them from slaughter, and an enraged Aunt Sue orders her brutish son, Book, to beat Iris senseless - a horrific act that lands Book and his mother in jail. Sent to live with an offbeat foster family and their "dooking" ferrets, Iris must find a way to take care of the animals back at the farm, even if it means confronting Aunt Sue. Powerful and deeply moving, this compelling novel affirms the redemptive power of animals and the resilience of the human spirit.

This one sounds AWESOME. I've never read a book with a similar plot and it immediately got my attention. I've read some good reviews about it, too. PUBLISHED ON APRIL 12, 2011!

3 comments:

  1. OMG this is so a book for me. I am a vegetarian myself. But to be honest I don't know if I can take it to read this. I mean if the mistreat of the animals is written in a very detailed way, I don't think I am able to read it. So I might wait a bit to see what other readers will say about the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing, and the cover is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this book and put it on my must buy list right away! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!