Monday, December 20, 2010

Winter Extravaganza: Lorraine Zago Rosenthal




Lorraine Zago Rosenthal is the author of Other Words for Love.

SUMMARY: When an unexpected inheritance enables Ari to transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school, she makes a wealthy new friend, Leigh. Leigh introduces Ari to the glamorous side of New York—and to her gorgeous cousin, Blake. Ari doesn't think she stands a chance, but amazingly, Blake asks her out. As their romance heats up, they find themselves involved in an intense, consuming relationship. Ari's family worries that she is losing touch with the important things in life, like family, hard work, and planning for the future.
When misfortune befalls Blake's family, he pulls away, and Ari's world drains of color. As she struggles to get over the breakup, Ari must finally ask herself: were their feelings true love... or something else? (Publishes on January 11, 2011.)

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

How does it feel being a debut author and knowing your book will be on the shelves soon?

The writing and publishing process is long—it’s been quite a while since I began writing the novel, and there are so many steps to go through before a book is on the shelves. But now that the release date is almost here, being a debut author feels amazing and exciting! I’m thrilled and very grateful that I can share this story with readers.

What was the hardest part of Other Words For Love to write?

The hardest parts to write were the final scene between the main character (Ari) and her best friend Summer, as well as the final scene between Ari and her boyfriend Blake. Without giving too much away, I’ll say that these scenes were challenging to write because they’re filled with complex emotions.

If you could pair Ari (romantically) with any character in another book, who would it be and why?

I can’t think of a specific character, but I’d like to pair Ari with a fabulous guy who would never trade her for anyone or anything. She deserves that.

Did you plan the outcome of your novel or did it change while writing the story?

I had a general idea of the outcome. The final result was almost exactly what I had imagined, with just a few changes.

Three words to describe your view of winter?

Snowflakes, fireplaces, Christmas.

What are the best and worst Christmas presents you ever received?

The best Christmas presents are the surprise gifts that arrive in the mail, and when I open the box, there’s lots of chocolate inside. The worst is when there’s no chocolate at all!

If you were trapped outside during a blizzard, who would you want with you and why?

I’d want my husband with me because he’s very level-headed, and he can always make me laugh—even in a dire situation.

You grew up living in NYC (I go once a year), so you were probably accustomed to the cold. What was it like there during the winter? What sorts of items did the vendors harass you to buy? :)

I love New York when it’s cold and gray and snowy! It’s beautiful there during the winter, especially during the holiday season. I have always enjoyed going to Rockefeller Center and also browsing the storefronts decorated for Christmas. I like the vendors who sell those delicious pretzels and honey-roasted nuts. They never have to harass me to buy those things!

Do you have a pile of books ready to dig into during the holiday season, and if so what are they?

I don’t have a pile of books, only because I’m planning to devote a lot of free time during the holidays to working on a new manuscript. However, at the moment I’m reading
Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen, and it’s making me crave 1920s-themed YA. Vixen by Jillian Larkin will be released by my publisher (Random House/Delacorte Press) on December 14, so that is definitely on my holiday to-read list!
Pssst! - You can win a copy here!

Thank you for answering my questions about your book and winter!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK ONLINE: Amazon | Borders | Book Depository

FIND HER ONLINE: Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

*Remember, you can get an entry into the comment contest by leaving a valid comment about this interview! Full rules, entering, and details by clicking that link.

11 comments:

  1. Lorraine, I liked over here from Verla's. Your book sounds like a great realistic romance in a world of paranormal. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something satisfying about living where it's frosty and white right around Christmastime. I've never been to NYC at this time of year, but I bet that it's a spectacular experience. Love the cover + description of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking forward to reading this book - thanks for spotlighting it!

    I like the answer to the blizzard question - my husband would probably be the only one to keep me from freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to NYC around Christmas time and it is the best time to go if you can brave the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto! This does sound highly realistic and more sobering than your typical YA, but that makes it all the more desirable as a story. I've never been to NYC, or an elite prep school, but nonetheless I'm intrigued to see how the book plays out after Ari's world falls apart. SUPER review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview!

    I totally wish I could see NY in the winter! It's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I'll be interviewing Lorraine soon too and I can't wait. I'm really excited for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sweet that she would want her husband with her, me, I would have choosen a space heater or something (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great book. I like the idea that it might not be all sunshine and cheezy rainbows... This was a great interview too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome interview. I am really interested in the book Other Words for Love. love romantic and friendship kind books :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so excited to read this book! my sister LOVED it and i've been hearing great stuff about it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!