Friday, December 3, 2010

Winter Extravaganza: Beth Revis




Beth Revis is the author of Across the Universe.

SUMMARY:
Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed. She expects to wake up on a new planet, 300 years in the future. But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, Amy's cryo chamber is unplugged, and she is nearly killed. Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir. Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she? All she knows is that she must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again. (Publishes on January 11, 2011.)

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

How does it feel being a debut author and knowing your book will be on the shelves really soon?

AMAZING. Recently I had my birthday, and when I went to blow out the candles, I realized I had nothing left to wish for--the wish I'd been making for over a *decade* had finally come true!

What were your first thoughts about the beautiful cover of your book?

I loved the boy--I was afraid the cover would only show Amy, but half the book is Elder's. I was also glad that his skin was darker (albeit partially from shadow) since Elder is multi-ethnic.

If you were Amy, and awoke on the Godspeed earlier than planned, how would you react?

I think I would cry a lot more! It takes a lot for me to cry--but that is one situation where I think my only reaction would be tears! Overall, I think Amy's pretty brave--she does break down sometimes, but she's primarily brave. I hope eventually I would find that kind of courage.

Where did you come up with the brilliant idea of Across the Universe?

AH! I can't tell you--because the entire novel started with the twist. I came up with the end first, then built everything--the world, the characters, etc.--in order to make the ending be believable.

What do you imagine winter will be like 100 years from now?

I think it will be much colder. The world cycles in terms of temperatures, and although global warming is a threat, overall I think our climate will shift to a much colder area. Other than that, I hope that 100 years from now, winter is still a time of holidays and festivals and growing closer to our friends and family.

Imagine being trapped outside during a blizzard. What the heck would you do first?

Whip out my brand new smart phone, turn on GPS, and find the closest shelter!

I saw you loved to travel. If you could visit any three countries for a winter vacation, what would they be and why?

Oh, wow...that would be awesome. I'd go first to Egypt--I've always wanted to see the pyramids, and a cruise down the Nile sounds nice and warm. Then I'd switch it up and go to Germany, home of the Christmas trees. I've got a picturesque idea of what Germany would look like in Christmas--snow and thick coats and icicles and warm fires. Finally, I'd go to Greece--it's warm and beautiful and just sounds relaxing.

What are your favorite things to eat and drink during the holiday season?

Peppermint cho-coffee! I made this drink up myself: first, I pour hot chocolate powder in the bottom of a mug, then pour hot hot hot coffee on top of that. Stir it all together, and then drop one or two peppermint candies into the drink. YUM!

Thanks Beth, for spending the time to answer my questions and sharing about your debut book and winter!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK ONLINE: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Borders

FIND BETH ONLINE: Website | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

*Remember, you can get an entry into the comment contest by leaving a valid comment about this interview! Full rules, entering, and details by clicking that link.

11 comments:

  1. Great interview! I'm really excited to read Across the Universe. This might just be the book that will make me love futuristic space travel.

    The peppermint cho-coffee sounds really good, I'll definitely have to try it now. Thanks for sharing Beth. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... sounds like a good coffee.

    Great interview. I want to read this book so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egypt!!! I would love to be able to one day visit Egypt and see the pyramids, that would be awesome.
    Interesting drink. I'd have it minus the coffee (since I'm not a coffee drinker at all).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egypt would be great! I'd want an iced version of your favorite holiday drink to sip on whilst riding my camel. Thanks for the interview. I've already pre-ordered your book. Can't wait for it to be released already!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I think its cool how you built the story from the bottom up. Very creative! I also like that Elder is multi-ethnic. Its different from some other stories I read. Across the Universe is coming out in a little over a month. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome interview! I'm sooo looking forward to reading this! Sounds awesome and different! And I also love that Elder is multi-ethnic. And the cover is awesome. Love it! Ooh Peppermint Cho-Coffee sounds delicious! I gotta try this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice interview! Across the Universe sounds awesome! I cant wait to read it! I agree the cover is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drink sounds yummy! I'll definitely have to try and make it for myself. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary D

    Me, too! Gotta try her Peppermint Cho-Coffee, and Across the Universe has such a gorgeous cover - absolutely one for the TBR pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great interview. yay for peppermint cho-coffee. i'm so excited for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book idea sounds interesting. I think I would go crazy being on board a space ship for 50 years before anyone else was supposed to be up... I get claustrophobic and I think I'd go a little crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!