Monday, March 22, 2010

Interview with author Jennifer Echols


Today I have young-adult author Jennifer Echols on Books Obsession for an interview!

Can you start off by telling us a little bit about your book “Going Too Far”?


It’s about a seventeen-year-old who, to avoid prosecution for a high school stunt, is sentenced to ride along on night shift with the nineteen-year-old rookie cop who arrested her.


What inspired you to write the novel?

I love the TV show Cops. Originally I planned to have two teenagers ride along with an older cop and have the teens fall for each other. But I’m fascinated by the line between childhood and adulthood, and I thought it would be more interesting to have the teen riding along be the heroine and the cop be the hero of the story, moving back and forth across that line.


Which of the books that you have written is your favorite and why?

My favorite is always the one I’m writing at the moment! You really have to fall in love with your own work in progress, or this job would be impossible.


What are your favorite things about being an author?

I love to get e-mail from readers. Usually I log on at 4:30 in the morning because I’m about to start writing, and I have a message from the night before that helps me get through my writing that day.


Do you have any writing rituals or a certain writing process?

My process is a big mess. I don’t write in order, and I tend to write books a different way each time. I have tried to straighten this out, but then the book was a mess! Better the process than the book.


Have any favorite must-read books or authors?

Santa brought me lots of books, and four of them were by adult romantic comedy author Jennifer Crusie.


What projects are you currently working on that you’d like to share?

My next romantic drama for MTV Books, Forget You, is coming out on July 20. Endless Summer, the sequel to my romantic comedy The Boys Next Door, will be out on August 3. I’m expecting copyedits for both those books any day now. And I’m about to start writing a brand new romantic drama for MTV Books, to be published in July 2011.


Thanks so much for answering my questions Jennifer! :)


4 comments:

  1. Aw, it was a nice interview! I may be receiving Going Too Far in April, so... I'm really excited about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her books all sound wonderful.
    Great interview! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jennifer Echols and all her books. I like how they're so different which shows how truly remarkable her writing is. I'de have to say that Going too Far is probably my favorite and I contstantly go back to it.

    What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute interview!
    DId I read right? Did she actually say 4:30 in the morning? Mygod that is EARLY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!