Saturday, April 25, 2009

Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz



Title: Project 17
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Published: December 2007 by Hyperion Books

My Rating: 3.5 stars
Tags: YA | Suspense | Ghosts
Includes: Intense Scenes, Suggestive Themes

First Lines: I take the road that leads up the hill, my heart beating louder than the Cryptic Slaughter song that's thrashing out my car speakers.



Danvers State Hospital, the abandoned mental institution on Hathorne Hill, is rumored to be haunted. Locals in town share stories about the cold underground tunnels and the unmarked, and forgotten graves surrounding the hospital. Some even say there are still dead patients' souls locked inside. Perfect setting for a ghost story, right? On the eve of the demolition of Danvers State Hospital, six teenagers break in to spend the night. They plan to film a movie inside to enter in a contest afterwards. But after coming across patient's records, journals, and personal belongings, the teenagers start to feel uncomfortable in this madhouse. These 6 completely different teenagers, each with their own story, have to work together to make it through the night alive. What begins as a teasing joke for the teens, unravles into a hectic, terrifying night of surprises.

We each went to Danvers State Hospital, the old abandoned asylum on the hill, with the intention of spending one night before the place got torn down. Little did any of us know how haunting the experience would be. Little did I know that the experience would change my life. Forever.


If you're looking for a quick, scary story, I advise for you to pick this book. Just looking at the cover of the book caught my attention, and made me wonder the secret behind the title. The story's characters reminded of The Breakfast Club, with your mix of popular boy, class clown, shy unapproachable girl, ego-filled actor, cocky and materialistic girl, and freaky goth...which kept my attention throughout the book.


What started out as a cheesy horror, predictable-ending book, quickly changed into an exhilarating, thrill of excitement. Particular chapters gave me goosebumps, and I constantly found myself looking behind my back (haha) when I was reading it alone in my bedroom. Which reminds me to tell you, be sure to read it at night, to get the full effect. Overall, this novel kept me attentive, gave me a rush of excitement, and had a convincing ending.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    Thanks for promoting Little Lov'n Monday. I've added your blog to my blogroll, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary D

    Okay, this one sounds pretty good, too. Love that cover. Got to admit, sometimes I really enjoy these formulaic breakfast-club type horror reads :D

    Adding Project 17 to my TBR list (which now extends halfway across the equator ... sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree read this one at night.... hehehehe!!! But dont scare yourself too much... maybe leave a lamp on!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't all that scary, but I was hooked! And the cover, I agree, is spooky and made me want to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love what you have to say!