Mini-Review of Catching Fire / Getting Everyone Excited
I am beyond thrilled for the third book of The Hunger Games series, Mockingjay. I pre-ordered my copy months ago and am literally dying for it to be released already. Since I read Catching Fire back in October, I wanted to re-read it again so that it will be fresh in my mind in time for the third book. So yesterday I began Catching Fire again, got through 219 pages, and completely forgot about so many of the brilliant things in the book!
- Suzanne Collins' writing. Oh my goodness, I don't even know if I can find a flaw in it. She writes even the simplest sentences beautifully. In my mind, I have the whole world of The Hunger Games sketched out and detailed, same goes for the characters. She just has a way with setting up the scene and writing it out so descriptively and vividly. I'm in awe!
- The characters. Yes, Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, etc. are adored characters who are deeply layered and come to life before our very eyes. However, there so many tiny, non important (..I use that term loosely) characters in the book - some only mentioned one one page - who I immediately grow to know so well. Suzanne Collins can develop any single character that shows up in the series perfectly. I don't know how she does it!
- The freakin creativity just flows out of the pages! I completely forgot about all of the unexpected twists throughout the book. I'd name a few but I don't want to spoil the reading of those that haven't had a chance to read it yet.
So what is everyone's predictions about the third book?!
I've read a lot of posts about what might happen - but who actually knows?
-I think that Gale is going to die. Don't kill me all you Team Gale fans! It's just what I think. I love him and Peeta, but there's only room for one of them in Katniss's life. And since Peeta is pretty much untouchable and can't die or else everyone reading might commit suicide, I think Gale is the one who will go. :/ OR who knows? Maybe he and the mayor's daughter, Madge, might hit it off.
-The arena. Who thinks there will be more scenes from inside the arena?? I hope there are! Not to sound disturbing, but those are usually my favorite chapters to read about. They are so suspenseful, creative, and clever. Can't wait to see if Suzanne Collins will include more in the third book!
-I think something might happen to Katniss's family: either her mom or Prim. I don't know, I just have a feeling something bad will take place.
No ARC's of Mockingjay - YES!
And I'm so glad that they didn't have any ARC's for Mockingjay. Sure everyone, point your weapons at me, but just let me explain myself first! Since the book is coming out August 24, it's cool knowing what that day will be about: people all around the world will be reading the exact same book! Also, no one already knows what happens and can't write up any early reviews about it. I absolutely love how secretive it is, how much people want to read it, and that no one has had the chance. Not only is it fair to all of the other people who want to read it, but it's also making me more excited every day the release date draws nearer.
Ugh I'm so sick of the whole "Team Peeta vs. Team Gale" thing going on. (I don't want it to become like the next Twilight freak-out!) Sure, so obviously the love triangle in the book adds on to the greatness of the series, but it seems to be stealing the spotlight from the actual best thing about the books: KATNISS. I'm for Team Katniss all the way! She's determined, courageous, tough, and doesn't take crap from anyone. Unlike all the readers, choosing the right guy isn't on the top of her to-do list. Instead she's too busy trying to save the world. I don't really have a preference for Gale or Peeta, they are both different but have the same thing in common: they love Katniss. Gale is the tall, dark, handsome hunter who's tough and just plain hot. But then there's Peeta who is so charming, sweet, loyal and honest. I just don't think it's fair to make judgments on who's your favorite guy. Because Gale is rarely even in the book as much as Peeta is. How do you even have enough information on him to take your pick? Both seem like good guys for her but there is so much more to the series than just the love triangle!
- The Secret Adventures of Writer Girl wrote a list of ideas for your very own Mockingjay release party!
- First Novels Club made up her own version of the hunger games: disney princess style! My vote is that Mulan will win.
- Here's the official Mockingjay Trailer from Scholastic. It doesn't reveal like anything but is still exciting!
- Novel Novice complied a list of theme songs for the first two books in the series. Vote for your favorite! I chose "Ranger" by A Fine Frenzy because the lyrics really popped out to me relating to how the districts must feel about the Capitol. And the second verse about how Katniss must feel towards them.
They are the hunters, we are the rabbits
Let's keep hiding, all quiet like
They'll keep seeking but they won't find us
Let's keep living a quiet life
You and I, you and I